Monday, July 2, 2012

Karma takes the form of a utility belt.

I admit to having been a bit of a running snob. My cross-country-running friends and I have been known to roll our eyes at those packs of runners weighed down by heart rate monitors, GPS watches, visors, bum-flap reflector jackets, and utility belts full of gels and mini bottles of Gatorade. After all, the simplicity of running is a large part of its appeal: all you really need is a good pair of shoes and maybe a good sports bra. The utility-belt wearers, we'd say, were over-complicating things. It's a run, not a trek across the Sahara.



But this was old, non-marathoning Jackie. Marathon Jackie has been thrown off her high horse by, well, the need for a utility belt. 22k was on my schedule yesterday morning, and it was hot. I knew I needed fluids to make it through, but my route passed by only one water fountain. Carrying a whole bottle of Gatorade would be cumbersome. And the utility belt even has a little pocket for gels...

So, this morning, I put on the GPS watch my coach had lent me, clipped my IPod onto my Spandex shorts, and sheepishly filled my little water bottles with Gatorade. I velcroed the belt around my waist, my boyfriend watching on with confusion. "So you're one of THOSE runners now?" he said. Then, seeing that I was uncomfortable with my attire, added "You sort of look like Batman'.

"But, like, a really uncool version of Batman."

And so I set out, my boyfriend yelling after me to watch out for the Joker.

I took a route that is normally less populated in the hopes of staying incognito. But it was Canada Day, so of course the entire population of our country was out in downtown Ottawa. So I swallowed my pride and darted through the crowds. I have to say, it was helpful to be able to check the watch and know my exact pace and exactly how far I had gone. And being able to stop to refuel whenever I needed to was a nice change.

I maintain that running free of all the gadgetry is a good thing: it keeps you in touch with your surroundings and with how your body is actually feeling. If I ever get to the stage where I'm stopping and starting a GPS watch for 100m sprints, or wearing a utility belt for a 5k race, please stop me. But I will say this: that thing was invented for a reason.

Week 2 Recap:

M: 18k
TU: cross-train day - 45 elliptical, weight circuit
W: 16k (6k at tempo pace)
TH: 10k
F: am Hatha yoga; pm track workout - 4 x (8x100m) (approx. 10k total)
SA: cross-train day - easy bike ride, Power yoga
SU: 22k

Week total: approx. 76k



4 comments:

  1. Do training runs with the waterbottle belt and things to eat along the way, but don't bring it along for the marathon race. You usually will have enough water stations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you gave in to the buffet belt! (I am just catching up on your blog now.) This was too funny, as I too have always been a snob about the utility belt (trail runners wear camelbaks, don't you know). But you're right - very handy! Just don't you dare wear one during a race! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I must admit to having a bum-flap jacket (they keep your bum so warm in winter!), so I can't really make fun of your buffet belt purchase. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - bum-flap jackets are WAY worse than buffet belts.

    (Ok fine, I also own a bum-flap jacket. And I love the added warmth.)

    ReplyDelete