Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Soldiering On

Most of my usual running buds were racing the Army Run Sunday, so I did my 37k run on my own. That will be my longest training run, so it's all downhill from here ... until the marathon of course. Which is going to be an uphill battle, quite literally.

I was having a hard time wrapping my head around 37k solo. I know myself, and three hours in my own head is a recipe for a mental meltdown. So I packed a playlist with new tunes, saved my favourite running outfit for Sunday,  mapped out a scenic cross-provincial route (that sounds so much more impressive than it is), and plied myself with promises of chocolate, Scotch and a nap upon my return. 

Turns out, the self-bribery was unnecessary: the Army Run provided ample inspiration to push me through. 


I watched the 5k race before setting out, and then my route had me crossing paths with the half marathoners. If there is any race to inspire mental toughness, it's that one. I cheered for wounded athletes, admired the fitness of current members of our Armed Forces, watched teammates set personal bests, and marveled at the 18,000 people who got up early on a Sunday to challenge themselves and honour our troops.

But in particular, I was inspired on Sunday by my brother Brett. A few months ago, my brother committed himself to some major lifestyle changes, to a focus on his health, and to finding out just how fast he can go. Brett and I have been running on the same team for a few months now, so I've seen just how hard he's been working. My brother has a perfect (read: skinny) runner body and heaps of talent, but what sets him apart is that he's tougher than anyone I know. I've seen him making himself suffer, forcing himself to keep going on a lot of really tough days, and making commitments on and off the road. He's been dedicated everyday, no exceptions. He's pushed his body to its limits, and those limits are melting away pretty quickly. 

In a few short months, he went from not running at all to racing at a high level. A month ago, his 5k time was over 18 minutes. On Sunday, he ran 17:13, which was good for a top 10 finish. He'll keep getting faster. Watching him come down that finishing stretch, I was full of pride for his accomplishment. He set a goal, worked for it, and achieved it. A simple formula maybe, but so much easier said than done. 


Intense brother.

So when my hips were screaming at 32k, when I was starting to feel cranky and a bit delirious, that's when I decided to pick up the pace for the last 5k. It hurt, but I thought of my bro, and I knew how hard he'd be driving. So I did too. And then I napped.

Week 14 Recap:


M: off - yoga at home
TU: 12k treadmill
W: 13k  (4 x 1k)
TH: off
F: 12k (6 x hill fast)
SA: 8k treadmill + yoga class
SU: 37k

Week total: approx. 82k

No comments:

Post a Comment