Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Jackie learns to pace herself.

Since I really have no concept of how fast I should attempt to run my marathon, I decided to try racing a half at my ambitious-goal-pace (4:30 k's) to see if that's realistic. It turned out well: I felt relaxed, and was able to race the last 5k full-out feeling energized and strong. The time wasn't spectacular, but I still consider it a big step in the right direction for me:  it was probably the first time ever that I've decided on a pace and actually stuck with it.

I am not a good pacer. You know those Japanese women in the Olympics who kept taking the races out at a blazing speed and then getting dropped by the Kenyans/Ethiopians by the end? If I were an Olympian, that would be me. (Yes, I just compared myself to an Olympian. Blogging really is the fuel of narcissism...) Anyway, my nerves always get the best of me, and as soon as I see runners ahead of me, I want to go with them. Of course, the way you feel at the beginning of a race is deceptive - to fresh legs and a brain pumping with adrenaline, a fast pace feels easy. Until all of a sudden it doesn't.

That's my race "strategy": balls to the wall, fade, push through whilst feeling like a pile of death, consider dropping out several times, curse myself for taking up this stupid sport, sprint out the last 100 metres with every fiber of my body screaming, keel over at the finish line, wonder why my hamstrings are so angry the next day. I think I've always run positive splits. I am ashamed to say that more than one concerned finish-line volunteer has asked me if I need a wheelchair. My race photos always look like I'm acting out a scene from Braveheart. Race photos are a truly cruel thing, really. Who looks good while running except this guy?! But I digress.

This "strategy" goes against all running wisdom. And it would likely fail very, very miserably in a marathon. So, I am forcing myself to learn the art of pacing. On Saturday, I decided on a race plan beforehand. I let a girl running faster than my pace get away from me at the start. I thanked volunteers at the water stations. I never once thought about dropping out. I even crossed the finish line SMILING. Evidence:



Ok, kinda hard to tell. But considering how I normally look, I think that's pretty good:

They may take our lives, but they will never take OUR FREEDOM!

Week 11 Recap:


M: off day - yoga 
TU: 9k (track - 2 x 2k, 8 x 300, 2 x 2k)
W: 13k + core class
TH: 13k (8 x 3min uphill)
F: off
SA: 26k (1/2 marathon in 1:32)
SU: off 

Week total: approx. 61k

No comments:

Post a Comment