Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Work-Life-Marathon Balance

(So I didn't get around to my blog last week, but then I thought that fit well with the theme of this post, so I figured my "regular readers" (ha) would forgive me.)

The last couple weeks have been busy. Packed work days, evening networking events and conference calls, a visit from out-of-town friends, and (most importantly) Olympics-viewing. And on top of all this, usually a couple hours a day are dedicated to training.



Yesterday I noticed one of those inspirational church billboards reading "You always have time for the things you put first." A good point. But sometimes it's hard to know what should come first. Running is important to me - I have a blog dedicated to it, after all.  I love to train hard and see where that takes me. But clearly I am no elite athlete, so it's only logical that my actual career takes precedence - especially since I'm just starting out. But I've also committed myself to this marathon, so I'm trying to make a regular training regimen fit.

Some days are easier than others. For instance, there was one day last week where I had a reception to attend after work. Knowing I still needed to run later and wouldn't have time for dinner, I tried to eat a bit from the food trays, and allowed myself just one glass of wine before switching to club soda. I realized--mid-chew-- that one of the hors-d'oeuvre I'd picked out was basically a disguised ball of blue cheese - and I'm very lactose-intolerant. I forced myself through 10k afterwards, all of this goodness sloshing around furiously in my stomach.

The easier thing would be to get up early, but I'm realizing that just doesn't work well for me these days. Getting up early means going to bed early, and that means spending little time with my boyfriend, whose erratic musician/retail sales schedule gets him home late most of the time. Our lazy Sunday mornings together are now replaced by an early-morning kiss goodbye as I head out for my long trek. I am not willing to give up all my time with him, friends, and family for the sake of running ... but for the marathon, it does seem that I have to give up a bit.

It's not easy, but (as another billboard surely reads), if it was easy, everyone would do it. I don't have the balance totally figured out, but it's working well enough for now. And there are certainly benefits to that attempt. Running allows me to spend more time with my brother, and my social life doesn't disappear, but rather shifts to time with great running friends. Some of the closest bonds in my life have been formed out on the track and trails. Running brings me happiness and health, and the strict training schedule forces me to stay organized and focused at work. My loved ones benefit as I'm more pleasant to be around when I can run.

Bottom line: it's worth it. Off to work now.

Week 6 Recap:


M: off day - yoga at home
TU: 14k (11k tempo)
W: 11k 
TH: BodyPump + easy bike
F: 13k (5 x 2k on the track)
SA: 7k
SU: 26k

Week total: approx. 71k


Week 7 Recap:


M: off day - Zumba on the Hill with Sabrina! 
TU: 10k + BodyPump
W: 12k (fartlek - 5 x (1k hard, 500m easy))
TH: easy bike
F: 7k (4x800, 4x200 track workout)
SA: 11k + weights
SU: 13k (hamstrings strained from random speed workout, oops)

Week total: approx. 53k

No comments:

Post a Comment