Sunday, August 19, 2012

Olympic fever

I miss the Olympics. As an obsessive-compulsive runner-type, I attacked my Olympics-viewing with the same gusto as my training, and became the ultimate couch potato. All free time was spent engrossed in everything from judo to weightlifting. I cried with the gymnasts, cheered with the rowers, and reached the point of feeling like I could judge a synchronized diving competition ("Well-executed pike but a little too much splash on the entry."). I memorized every Nike commercial, gained a strong opinion on every controversy, felt a meaningful bond with Brian Williams.

But of course, the running competitions dominated my attention. I am completely inspired by the mind-blowing efforts out on the roads and track. I have been trying to channel their speed, agility and perfect form in my own workouts. This has led only to me seriously straining my hamstrings and embarrassing myself with my 200m split times, but no matter. I am inspired, and inspiration is needed when one has a hilly marathon less than two months away.

Hooray, it's 5:30am!!
While most couch potatoes don't begin their pursuit at 5am, a serious couch potato must make sacrifices to achieve greatness. So, on Sunday morning, myself and 300 or so like-minded crazies gathered to watch the Men's Marathon on the big screens at the Mill Street Brew Pub. I had worried that nobody would show up at such an ungodly hour on the day of rest, but I underestimate the devotion of my fellow runners. There was a line-up out the door by 5:30am. The party was a great time, and we raised lots for Dylan Wykes' CANFund and my own Team In Training campaign.

Brad and I are the chipper, completely awake, greeting crew.
Anyway, now life has returned to normal, summer TV has gone back to being awful, and I probably won't watch a single synchronized dive until 2016. But on the plus side, I probably have another couple years free from the "I Believe" song. Dammit, now it's back in my head again.


Week 8 Recap:


M: off day 
TU: 10k
W: 15k (6 x 1k workout)
TH: off day
F: 14k (2 x 5k workout)
SA: 10k + BodyPump
SU: 26k

Week total: approx. 75k



No comments:

Post a Comment