Sunday, May 20, 2012

Longer Weekends, Shorter Runs

Tapering for a race is a wonderful thing. Sure, I can scale back my training at any time, but usually there's the little voice telling me I can do more if I really try, so I should push through. But during a taper, you are fully justified in doing exactly what your body tells you. Don't feel like running as far as you'd planned? Stop. Sore muscles? Get a massage. Wee bit tired? Take a nap. Craving McDonalds? Eat McDonalds. Well, maybe there are limits to this strategy's effectiveness. Whatever.

I'm doing the Ottawa Half Marathon a week from today. I ran a half once before, and it was ugly. I went out with a pack, felt strong at first, and then learned very quickly that a half is different from a 5k. My legs seized up, I got dizzy, my mental game fell apart. And then I saw the 4km sign. With some walk breaks, a few frustrated tears, a gel (which I'd never had before, let alone in a race) and a pep talk from a passing friend, I managed to finish the race in 1:44. But I could barely move for a week, and for the first time ever, my knees started giving me trouble. It was tortuous and traumatizing, and I swore I'd never subject myself to another one. But that was five years ago... memories fade.

Anyway, I will worry about race day when it arrives. For now, it's a long weekend, and I need to taper. I can fully relax, enjoy the sun, go for a few breezy runs, and carb-load with beers on patios. Life is good.

 Victoria: we love her because she was born,
and thereby gave us an extra day for 2-4's and cottages.

A few links to share today:

Thanks to the lovely Ken Parker of RunnersWeb for posting about my marathon efforts:

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_news_frameset.html?http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news_2012/rw_news_20120515_Jackie_Bonisteel.html


And, of course, the link to my fundraising page - please help me out if you are able, I'm still a long way from my goal:

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=1429184&langPref=en-CA

No comments:

Post a Comment